[TxMt] Re: Context Bundle

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Mon Mar 19 23:48:03 UTC 2007

On Mar 19, 2007, at 7:39 PM, Patrick Gundlach wrote:

> Hello Paul,
>
>> Context. The LaTeX bundle is very nice, though the ConTeXt bundle
>> doesn't seem to have a way to typeset the resulting file (at least as
>> far as I can see.)
>
> Is there a ConTeXt bundle out there already? I once posted one on
> contextgarden.net, but this was long ago.
>
>> Is anyone is working on a ConTeXt bundle similar in functionality to
>> the LaTeX bundle?
>
> Yes. But the LaTeX bundle seems to be extremly powerful and I am
> nowhere close to there.
>
> I'll give a talk on the ConTeXt bundle next weekend in
> Epen/Netherlands. Until then I will enchance it a lot and post it to
> the ConTeXt mailing list. (And here, if anyobdy is interested.)

I suppose that given that the syntax is very similar, we could try to
add ConTeXt to the existing LaTeX bundle and try to make the commands
work for ConTeXt as well. I'd be happy to help people out with this,
but I don't know much ConTeXt. (On the other hand, I do know the
workings of the LaTeX bundle pretty well ;) ). So perhaps we can
figure out what needs to be done and then start doing it.

Do I understand correctly that ConTeXt is an extension of TeX, i.e.
all TeX code is valid in general? In that case we can use the
existing TeX syntax and include it, and just add the special features
that ConTeXt has.

Really the only reason ConTeXt is not part of the LaTeX bundle at
this point is (I think) simply the fact that the people who have
worked on the LaTeX bundle haven't had much use for ConTeXt. But I
see no reason not to make it work, if there are enough people
interested in it and willing to make it work.

> Patrick

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College