[TxMt] noob question: saving as projects

Michael Jackson mjijackson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 20:49:15 UTC 2007

On Mar 13, 2007, at 12:46 PM, Laudun John wrote:

> Forgive this really bone-headed question, but when I go to save a
> collection of files as a project -- and I have created them within
> the project using CMD + Shift + N -- both a project file is saved
> as well as the individual files. In other words, the individual
> files appear in the finder.

As far as I understand, this is correct behavior. The project file
tells TextMate what files are in that particular project. Now, when
you open that project, all of the files should be quickly available
to you in the drawer.

> Now, if the groupings were also being saved as folders/directories,
> it might be okay -- this is what happens when drags a collection of
> folders and files to Textmate. I thought the save as project
> feature produced a package of some kind? I don't see a preference I
> could have changed, so I'm wondering what's going on.

I do not believe that TextMate is supposed to create a folder
(package) for you and stick all of the project files in it if this is
your question. Instead, it leaves the file structure of your system
up to you. That way, you can have a project with files from several
different places without worrying about TextMate moving them all
around and putting them in the same place.

Michael