[TxMt] Textencoding problems renders scripts useless

Xavier Noria fxn at hashref.com
Sun Mar 11 21:03:31 UTC 2007

On Mar 11, 2007, at 9:45 PM, Stefan wrote:

> Am 11.03.2007 um 21:40 schrieb Xavier Noria:
>
>> On Mar 11, 2007, at 9:01 PM, Stefan wrote:
>>
>>> no one?
>>
>> Why do you think pasting from Word non-ASCII should work out of
>> the box?
>
> Because if I type the same non-ASCII using the keyboard, everything
> works
> fine.

Sure, but their flow is different.

When you type the computer maps keystrokes to glyphs. That
interpretation is the one you configure via the Input Menu. Then,
when text is saved the encoding configured in the editor is used to
map again from glyphs to bytes. So the chain is well-defined.

On the other hand, the clipboard is a different story. I am not a
Cocoa programmer but reading pages like this one:

   http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~n-iyanag/researchTools/clip_utils_osx.html

looks like the flow is not so clear as to be able to robustly handle
pastes from any source, as Word. Can anyone elaborate this point if
it is correct?

-- fxn