[TxMt] slow latex compilation

Christof Janssen janssen at lpma.jussieu.fr
Fri Mar 9 15:02:34 UTC 2007

On 9. Mrz 2007, at 15:31, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2007, at 9:09 AM, Christof Janssen wrote:

>>> So, the thing that worries me here is that textmate uses pdftex
>>> instead of pdfetex. Wondering why that is, because typically it
>>> runs pdfetex. Hopefully a tex file I can compile might give some
>>> hints.
>>
>> Haris,
>>
>> I just realized that Texshop relies on the tetex distribution
>> (installed with i-installer in /usr/local/teTex/bin/powerpc-apple-
>> darwin7.9.0). pdflatex in that directory makes a call to pdftex. I
>> have recently added gerben wierdas gwtex (also using the i-
>> installer/automatic configuration: /usr/local/gwTeX/bin/powerpc-
>> apple-darwin7.9.0). The latter is called by textmate and executes
>> pdfetex. In the past, I must have used the previous engine with
>> Textmate too. Which is the current version of pdfetex then?
>
> Actually your problem is the other way around, it is textmate that
> is NOT executing pdfetex, at least doesn't seem to, which is what
> is puzzling me. So if you change the call that TeXShop makes and
> have it use gwTeX instead, do you then get the same log files?

Issuing the commands in a terminal, yes, I can always reproduce the
error logs. The same occurs when I change the path in the Texshop
preferences. pdflatex in the gwTeX tree always calls the pdftex
engine rather than pdfetex and pdflatex in the tetex tree calls pdfetex.

> Btw, do you have a /usr/texbin directory? If so, which distribution
> does it point to?

Yes, it points to /Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/
Programs/powerpc, which is a symlink to /usr/local/gwTeX/bin/powerpc-
apple-darwin-current

> Also, when you compile from the command line via pdflatex, which
> version of tex is used then?

The path is set to the gwTeX version, which calls pdftex rather than
pdfetex.

> [...] So if you can send us the preamble, that's the part that I
> care about.

Here the preamble:

\documentclass[cjanssenlpmaa,backaddress=false]{scrlttr2}

\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{epstopdf}
\usepackage[utf8]{inputenc}
\usepackage{pdfsync}