[TxMt] calling Vim switchers

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 6 23:38:05 UTC 2007

Hi TextMate Vim switchers (also BBEdit, Emacs, XCode, Eclipse, etc.
switchers).

I find that Vim users find the transition to a new editor much more
difficult than switchers from other editors.  This speaks highly of
Vim's power, flexibility, and efficiency: there are aspects of its use
that are very hard for users to give up, and parts of Vim that work much
more efficiently than the equivalent TM features.

So, I ask that you come together to fill out this wiki page:

http://macromates.com/wiki/MigratingFrom/Vim

So that when the (not infrequent) question comes up from a Vim user
about why to use TextMate instead, there will be some resource to point
her at.  I think it would be great to put tips, tricks, maybe some
thoughts about what TextMate could do better to meet the needs of those
used to powerful Vim features that can't quite be emulated.  The goal
should be to (preferably in this order):

1. Convince Vim users that TextMate is worth trying.
2. Help Vim users through aspects of the editor that are likely to trip
them up.
3. Figure out how Vim features can inform new TextMate commands, etc.

Note, former users of other apps can make other subpages from this top
level page:

http://macromates.com/wiki/MigratingFrom/HomePage

It might be nice to put together a page for general Windows switchers as
well, with tips like how to get home/end key bindings working (that blog
post of Allan's), etc.

----

The wiki could probably use some general info for new users.  Many
tutorials and tips have been posted around on various blogs, but it
would be nice to consolidate and clarify some of this information, and
put it somewhere where it can be kept up to date.

Note: the wiki can use markdown syntax by wrapping a page in
(:markdown:) and (:markdownend:)

-Jacob