[TxMt] How can TextMate be so popular???

Pat Maddox pergesu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 22:33:09 UTC 2007

On 3/6/07, tlm <tlm1905 at gmail.com> wrote:
> To the responder who protested that I had not taken the time to learn
> about TextMate, I just want to point out that I ran into all these
> problems in literally less than 2 minutes of use.  Well-designed
> software doesn't perform so poorly even when the user is starting out.

> But I'm glad you all love your TextMate.  Standards for software are
> very low I suppose.  And paid software to boot!  Too bad.

In all fairness, the people who love TM have used it a lot more than
you.  The text editor is one of our tools, and one that people expect
to spend some time learning to master.  Perhaps good software in
general can just be picked up and used intuitively...but I don't think
it works that way for something like a text editor which is a
critical, powerful tool.

My only point here is that while you may not like it, it could be
because you haven't taken the time to really dig deep into it.  Of
course you could just be wasting your time, it might end up to really
be a piece of shit for you.  Since you don't like it out of the gate,
I see no reason why you should spend any more time with it.

I can understand your complaints if this were more of a
consumer-oriented application...as you mentioned, good software
doesn't give the user a lot of grief early on.  However this editor is
made for programmers, and nearly every programmer I know happily
ignores little quirks - if he even notices them at all - if the
powerful stuff he wants is accessible.

I hope you find something that works better for you.

Pat