[TxMt] Commanding an outside app

Niels Kobschätzki n.kobschaetzki at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 23 13:03:52 UTC 2007

On Jun 23, 2007, at 2:59 PM, John Laudun wrote:

> The short of it is that I would like to use Textmate to do some
> transcription work. I have never been entirely happy with
> Transcriva, which I paid for, and while the power and convenience
> of Scrivener are appealing, I don't really want to buy yet another
> application for this purpose. I own, use, and love TextMate, and I
> have been very impressed with the things like the ScreenMate bundle.
>
> Now, I know I could write an AppleScript -- okay, I've never been
> any good with AS, but it's there -- I was just hoping that I could
> not and thus be able to work entirely within TextMate. All I need
> is a keystroke, or perhaps two, that would start and stop playback
> of an MP3 file. (I assume I would have to do this through
> QuickTime, but if there's a simpler command-line tool that could do
> this, that would be fine with me.) The only wrinkle I would like to
> add would be to be able to set an "auto-rewind" to the START or
> STOP command so that when playback commenced again it would start X
> seconds backwards from where it stopped. Setting this X in a config
> file of some kind would be fine with me.

Take iTunes and Quicksilver - add iTunes-QS-triggers (bound to a
shortcut of your choice) and it should work.
http://lifehacker.com/software/itunes/control-itunes-with-
quicksilver-259373.php
http://macapper.com/2007/05/09/how-to-control-itunes-with-quicksilver/

And after you set up this - use quicksilver for anything else…one of
the mightiest (if not the mightiest) programs I've ever used

Niels