[TxMt] Commanding an outside app

John Laudun jlaudun at mac.com
Sat Jun 23 12:59:01 UTC 2007

The short of it is that I would like to use Textmate to do some
transcription work. I have never been entirely happy with Transcriva,
which I paid for, and while the power and convenience of Scrivener
are appealing, I don't really want to buy yet another application for
this purpose. I own, use, and love TextMate, and I have been very
impressed with the things like the ScreenMate bundle.

Now, I know I could write an AppleScript -- okay, I've never been any
good with AS, but it's there -- I was just hoping that I could not
and thus be able to work entirely within TextMate. All I need is a
keystroke, or perhaps two, that would start and stop playback of an
MP3 file. (I assume I would have to do this through QuickTime, but if
there's a simpler command-line tool that could do this, that would be
fine with me.) The only wrinkle I would like to add would be to be
able to set an "auto-rewind" to the START or STOP command so that
when playback commenced again it would start X seconds backwards from
where it stopped. Setting this X in a config file of some kind would
be fine with me.

I'm a command creation newb, so any fingers pointed in the right
direction would be appreciated.

john