[TxMt] Re: discontinuous selection?

Jacob Rus jacobolus at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 03:06:39 UTC 2007

Juan <juanfc at ...> writes:
> El 12/02/2007, a las 1:24, Jacob Rus escribió:
>>> I am used to write things like x^2 pressing x and then ^ (a dead-key
>>> in spanish keyboard) and then just 2.
>>
>> I think you want to use the actual "^" caret key rather than the
>> little circumflex accent which is likely on your dead key (at
>> least it is on opt-i on US keymaps).  I've never seen anyone
>> use the circumflex accent to represent superscripts/exponents.
>
> Of course Jakob, I am writing LaTeX, and the simple thing I want is
>
> 		y = x^2
>
> in Mail I just write:
>
> 	y = x^2
>
> (since the dead-key doesn't find any char 2 with circunflex and
> then understands that I want the caret char and then the 2 char)

Aha, sorry, I suppose I misunderstood how the Spanish keymap works.  In the US
layout, if you type option-I, you get a "ˆ" symbol, whereas "^" is shift-6.
Apparently in the Spanish keymap, if you press the "ˆ" key and then a 2 or space
or whatever you're left with "^".  Sorry.  So if I press x, then option-i, and
then 2, I get "xˆ2", which is what I assumed you'd get if you did the equivalent
on the Spanish keyboard.  I've never seen anyone use the "ˆ" for exponentiation.

As to why TextMate behaves like this: I think it's just a current oversight in
the function of the text widget.  Presumably Allan can shed more light on this.

-Jacob (o "Jacobo" en México) Rus