[TxMt] Calling JavaScript Bundle developers

subtleGradient / Thomas Aylott oblivious at subtlegradient.com
Fri Feb 9 22:41:33 UTC 2007

On Feb 9, 2007, at 5:05 PM, Ale Muñoz wrote:

>> Yes, we need both the compressor and the minimizer. Maybe with some
>> better name though.
>> One of them actually changes your code to make stuff smaller, the
>> other does not, that's the difference.
>>

> I think we *really* have to test both commands with some popular JS
> libraries, and see if they are both needed. If it turns out we need
> both, it would be übercool to have a command that would minimize the
> file when first called, and compress the file the second time. I'm
> thinking about the Ctrl + < command in the Rails bundle (it "cycles"
> through some snippets when you press it)
>
> Let me know how you'd like to get the bundle (email, http, svn) and
> I'll send it right away :)

Actually, I've already tested them both with production code.
At CrazyEgg.com we use the compressor in our build process, along
with our own obfuscator.

And they really do different enough things that I would always want
to run them separately.

Actually, I think the minimizer one would be better suited replacing
the ⌃⌥Q keystroke for Unwrap Paragraph / Reformat Compressed.
That's an existing standard in many bundles already, having a custom
way to reformat the code.
Except hack the command to work on the selection or the current line.
Then I'll need to commit my Reformat Uncompressed commands too.

If you have the bundle in svn already, send me a link, if you just
have a zip or whatever else already, send that. I'm rarin to go!

thomas Aylott — design42 — subtleGradient — CrazyEgg