[TxMt] Calling JavaScript Bundle developers

Ale Muñoz bomberstudios at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 22:05:45 UTC 2007

On 2/9/07, subtleGradient / Thomas Aylott <oblivious at subtlegradient.com> wrote:

> I have now played with this thing and we need it.
> It's really awesome stuff.
> Forget about the filesize, it's just really necessary stuff.

That was my exact reaction when I installed it. Now we're talking :)

> I'd really like this stuff to be in the default Javascript bundle.
> But, adding 4 megs to a default TextMate bundle seems wrong without
> express Allan permission.

I totally agree. *BUT* the version I have (stripped universal binary,
some cleanup) is only 2.3 Mb. It could be even less, as JSL is not the
latest version and I have *no* idea how the original binaries were
compiled.

> So, let's make an Experimental Javascript bundle and slap this stuff in there.

Why not use "JavaScript Tools"? The name already has some exposure,
and it would be a nice way of thanking the original author. Also, I
think "JavaScript Tools" is a better description of what it does :)

> Yes, we need both the compressor and the minimizer. Maybe with some
> better name though.
> One of them actually changes your code to make stuff smaller, the
> other does not, that's the difference.

I think we *really* have to test both commands with some popular JS
libraries, and see if they are both needed. If it turns out we need
both, it would be übercool to have a command that would minimize the
file when first called, and compress the file the second time. I'm
thinking about the Ctrl + < command in the Rails bundle (it "cycles"
through some snippets when you press it)

Let me know how you'd like to get the bundle (email, http, svn) and
I'll send it right away :)

--
Ale Muñoz
http://sofanaranja.com