[TxMt] Feature Request: Unify Find.../Find in Project... functionality

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Aug 28 23:58:09 UTC 2007

On Aug 29, 2007, at 1:30 AM, Jay Soffian wrote:

> [...]
> This may already be on the docket for 2.0, but I'd much prefer if
> "Find..." and "Find in Project..." were to always bring up the same
> window [...]

Yeah, I believe I have confirmed that a few times in the past ;)

> [...]
> I'm sure I'm missing something obvious that makes this a poor
> suggestion or difficult to implement. :-)

It works a bit like you outline, and actually with more sources,
since “selection” is now also just a source, so you can “search for
[…] in […]” where the ‘in’ can be document, selection, folder,
project, recent folders, etc. -- and you can hit either “next” or
“find all” where the latter is the “find in project” functionality,
but available for all sources, though the default button changes
depending on source, so return does “next” for non-file finds, and
“find all” for file finds -- also, the “in”-pop-up has cmd-F and
shift-cmd-F bound to the “document” and “project” entries, so
basically the key strokes are like now, i.e. shift-cmd-F + return
does “find all” in project where cmd-F + return does “find next” in
document -- but the extra options exist, and another nicety is that
now “find in project” has the previous/next functionality (i.e. do a
file search and use cmd-G to step through the results and have it go
to next file when hitting the end of the current)…

Oh… and the search is multi-threaded -- but enough tease :p