[TxMt] Feature Request: Unify Find.../Find in Project... functionality

Jay Soffian jay-txmt at soffian.org
Tue Aug 28 23:30:06 UTC 2007

Allan,

I love Find in Project's... preview window which shows every matched
line in every file in the project. I love it so much so that I often
use it even when I only care about a single file in a project and
just ignore the extraneous results of the other files.

Thus, I am always disappointed when editing a single file (not part
of a project) and I select Find in Project... only to be greeted with
a window titled "Find in Project: <none>" that only beeps at me when
I try to use it. :-(

This may already be on the docket for 2.0, but I'd much prefer if
"Find..." and "Find in Project..." were to always bring up the same
window (whether editing a single file or a project) with one
difference. The window would have a radio-button such as:

(o) Search in current file
( ) Search in project

With the selected radio button according to whether the user used
"Find in Project..." or "Find..." to bring up the window. For single
file editing, the control would be disabled.

I'm sure you can think of a better UI design; I'm just arguing that
the preview functionality is useful in more than just a project context.

Said window could even grow an additional feature:

(o) Search in current file
( ) Search in project
( ) Search files in project matching pattern: [......]

(It should go without saying that any unique features of the
"Find..." window should be available in this unified window.)

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious that makes this a poor
suggestion or difficult to implement. :-)

Thoughts?

j.