[TxMt] Re: text overlay

Jacob Rus jrus at hcs.harvard.edu
Wed Apr 18 03:27:01 UTC 2007

Bob Henkel wrote:
> I won't go into details about these. All I doing is throwing out an ideas
> nothing more. I do appreciate comments though.
>
> The things I was listing in my mind would of been highly useful for code
> review actives. I'm not talking about Bob and the guy on the other side of
> the cube wall reviewing his code. I'm talking about 100+ developers working
> on a system with any number of people reviewing the same code. There are
> stand alone systems for this, this I know. What I wanted to do is find ways
> of allowing this all from within textmate. Being that it already allows you
> to type text and wash dishes I didn't think this was to far out there.
>
> No harm in asking.

I hope my reply didn't sound too dismissive or abrupt.  It's always good
to toss out ideas.  I guess my questions are then,

   * how do you imagine this working?
   * why would textmate be better than a custom app for
     such a specialized need?
   * what exactly is the use case?  I don't know what
     "code reviews" necessarily means to you.
   * does anything that accomplishes these goals currently
     exist, that could perhaps give us a better idea of
     what you're talking about?
   * are any of textmate's existing features enough to do
     some of what you want?  If not, could they be
     extended to that end?
   * etc.

Certainly don't give up on your dreams.  But you have to explain them
before they can be implemented.

-Jacob