[TxMt] LaTeX: Bibliography-Autocompletion stopped to work?

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Sun Sep 24 21:55:13 UTC 2006

On Sep 24, 2006, at 5:37 PM, Max Lein wrote:

> But until recently, I could use only escape to shuffle through
> suitable entries of the bibliography without using BibDesk at all.
> I definitely prefer using escape over alt + escape, so if there is
> any way to get the old functionality back?
> Here's another vote against removing the old escape-only command ;-)

I think one of us is confused here. Let me list all the commands
available atm:
1. Pressing escape inside \cite{} triggers TextMate's completion
mechanism, which in this case is told to use a custom completion
command (http://macromates.com/textmate/manual/
working_with_text#completion). This is a shell script that does all
the recursive search and stuff, and returns a list of the choices.
This does not actually show up as a command in the bundle, it only
shows up in a preference item called "Cite Completion".
2. Pressing opt-escape should trigger the command in the LaTeX bundle
called "Bibliography Completion". This command calls the same search
script used by 1, and creates the popup with the various completion
options.
3. There is a command called "BibDesk Completion, which you can see
only if you look into the LaTeX bundle from the Bundle editor, since
it is by default disabled.

Now, 1 and 2 should work just fine. They don't use BibDesk in anyway,
they use a script I wrote. I have checked them locally and haven't
encountered any problems, so let me know exactly what is not working
for you, with test cases ideally. At the very least, what context are
you trying the command at, what the scope at the caret's location is
etc.

The only thing we considered removing was the BibDesk Completion
command. A while back we removed its key equivalent and waited to
hear anyone complaining, so as to gauge if people use it or not. Not
hearing for a while, we disabled it, and had scheduled it for
deletion at some unspecified point in the future. This will now not
be happening, but this has nothing to do whatsoever with 1 and 2.

> Max

Haris