[TxMt] TextMate takes over X11 app file associations

William Scott wgscott at chemistry.ucsc.edu
Sat Oct 28 01:32:33 UTC 2006

Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On 28. Oct 2006, at 01:00, Scott Granneman wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> So, since I can't use Apple-I, I now have 2 questions:
>>
>> 1. Is anyone else having this problem?
>> 2. Short of removing TextMate (which I have done, but I can, of
>> course,
>> reinstall it), is there a solution to this problem?
>
> Here is a previous thread about it: http://lists.macromates.com/
> pipermail/textmate/2006-June/011293.html
>
> The only solution is to edit TextMate’s info.plist (see my reply in
> the thread for what goes on -- IMO it really is a system shortcoming).

Dear Allan:

It may be a system shortcoming but it breaks the default OS X behavior.
Personally I always launch X11 apps from the command line like any other
unix program, but OS X has been specifically designed to make these
binaries double-clickable or openable with the "open" command (as well as
the defective open-x11 command).

Is there not a way to simply exclude binary executable files from those
textmate claims as its own?  Other editors don't seem to do this.

Bill