[TxMt] TextMate takes over X11 app file associations

Scott Granneman scott at granneman.com
Sat Oct 28 01:08:26 UTC 2006

On Friday 27 October 2006 6:32 pm, Allan Odgaard wrote:
> On 28. Oct 2006, at 01:00, Scott Granneman wrote:
> > [...]
> > So, since I can't use Apple-I, I now have 2 questions:
> >
> > 1. Is anyone else having this problem?
> > 2. Short of removing TextMate (which I have done, but I can, of
> > course,
> > reinstall it), is there a solution to this problem?
>
> Here is a previous thread about it: http://lists.macromates.com/
> pipermail/textmate/2006-June/011293.html
>
> The only solution is to edit TextMate’s info.plist (see my reply in
> the thread for what goes on -- IMO it really is a system shortcoming).

Cool. I'll try that.

I noticed in your response on that thread that you said only 3 people had
complained. I wonder how many of those folks were Unix users, like me. The
1st thing I did with my new MBP was install DarwinPorts & start installing
all my Linux apps, like kmail & others. Needless to say, TextMate completely
breaks ALL of those apps, since it takes over the file association for files
without extensions, which, as a Unix guy yourself, I'm sure you know are
widely used in the *nix world. I can't double click on those files to open
them, I can't use the CLI; I'm forced to open X11, add the apps to the
Applications list, & then use that. Blech.

So, some sort of solution that doesn't involve editing plist files would be
really nice. I notice that the "other Mac editor which shall not be named
here" doesn't have this problem, which may or may not inspire a change on the
part of TextMate. :) Especially since TextMate is much more "comfortable" for
a *nix guy like myself (although vim still rules!). :)

Scott
--
R. Scott Granneman
scott at granneman.com ~ www.granneman.com

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I will have him."
      ---Ahab in Melville's Moby-Dick