[TxMt] Re: Another Editor War Sparked by TextMate

Ed Singleton singletoned at gmail.com
Wed Nov 15 09:04:06 UTC 2006

On 14/11/06, Rob McBroom <textmate at skurfer.com> wrote:
> Sent this a while ago, but used the wrong address so it bounced…
>
> On Nov 10, 2006, at 11:30 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>
> > On 10. Nov 2006, at 16:51, Matt Neuburg wrote:
> >

> >> Okay, but why *does* TextMate's Undo behave this way? It's a
> >> hassle for me
> >>

> > For me the step-by-step undo is 100% predictable, and that makes me
> > more efficient; I know that if I did an error 3 steps ago, I need
> > to press ⌘Z 3 times, and make the correct steps after that.
> >

> Consider this another vote for keeping the current behavior (at least
> as an option).
>
> I would love chunked undo if it knew what I "meant to do", but
> there's no way in hell it can know that. If Allan could write
> software that read your mind, he would have been abducted by some
> government by now. :)
>
> In my experience, when software tries to "help" you by making
> assumptions, it just gets in the way and annoys you. I'd rather have
> something tedious and predictable than something quick that makes me
> say "Whoa! Where the hell am I?" That's editing text the "Max Power
> way".

I'd like to give vote for a third option.

Eclipse has a wonderful feature where the editor constantly does a
diff with your current document and the last saved version.  It shows
the diff colours in the margin.  You can easily revert just the line
you are one (or a bunch of lines) to the last saved version.

A revert selection to last saved version command would be amazing (and
probably could be done with a plugin).

Ed