[TxMt] Re: Another Editor War Sparked by TextMate

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Tue Nov 14 22:44:15 UTC 2006

Sent this a while ago, but used the wrong address so it bounced…

On Nov 10, 2006, at 11:30 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 10. Nov 2006, at 16:51, Matt Neuburg wrote:
>

>> Okay, but why *does* TextMate's Undo behave this way? It's a
>> hassle for me
>>

> For me the step-by-step undo is 100% predictable, and that makes me
> more efficient; I know that if I did an error 3 steps ago, I need
> to press ⌘Z 3 times, and make the correct steps after that.

Consider this another vote for keeping the current behavior (at least
as an option).

I would love chunked undo if it knew what I "meant to do", but
there's no way in hell it can know that. If Allan could write
software that read your mind, he would have been abducted by some
government by now. :)

In my experience, when software tries to "help" you by making
assumptions, it just gets in the way and annoys you. I'd rather have
something tedious and predictable than something quick that makes me
say "Whoa! Where the hell am I?" That's editing text the "Max Power
way".

### From The Simpsons
     Homer (who had changed his name to "Max Power"): There are three
ways to
       do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way!
     Bart: Isn't that the wrong way?
     Homer: Yeah… but faster.

Rob
http://www.skurfer.com/