[TxMt] mate and file owner

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Fri Nov 3 15:20:31 UTC 2006

On Nov 3, 2006, at 12:06 AM, Une Bévue wrote:

> something i didn't understood, suppose i write a wrapper to mate
> "sudo_mate" even launching TextMate like that :
>
> sudo /Applications/TextMate/TextMate.app/Contents/MacOS/TextMate
> blahblah

In my experience, any time I need to edit a file I don't have access
to, TextMate will realize that and authenticate me so I can save the
file. This probably requires you to be in the admin group, but then
so does sudo (by default), right? The only possible drawback is that
new files might not get root as the owner. But maybe in that case you
could just do:

   sudo touch foo.txt
   mate foo.txt

Rob