[TxMt] Project File benefits (was "Anyone interested in...")

thomas Aylott thomas.42 at gmail.com
Mon May 8 17:38:50 UTC 2006

On May 8, 2006, at 11:03 AM, Jonathan Barrett wrote:

> Cool - I guess the usefulness for me is limited as:
>
> (a) All my projects are version controlled web apps
> (b) they all live in ~/Work/$appname/trunk
> (c) They're all rails or rails-y in directory structure
> (d) I tend use subversion to manage the state of my projects, so
> don't need tabs to stay open
> (e) I worry about leaving ._DS_Store files everywhere, so tend to
> stay out of the Finder
>
> None of this means "project files are crap", of course, but any
> time I see a feature I'm not using, I get excited that maybe it
> could be useful :)
>
> Anyone using project files in a similar environment?

I'm working on a couple of Rails apps.

I have two project files for each project

A front end project file
and a main project file

I keep all the configuration stuff and other random stuff out of the
front end project file.
That way I get
	blazing fast project wide search
	faster TODO bundle stuff
	easier management of the subversion stuff

I have a few configuration files and testing files and other random
stuff that is unique to each developers machine and environment.
Including a bunch of testing files and stuff.

Keeping all that stuff out of the front end project file keeps my svn
status log nice and clean and my tree is segregated to only the stuff
i'm working on.

thomas Aylott—subtleGradient—oblivious at subtleGradient.com