[TxMt] Bundles: R; LaTeX deep include parsing

Peter Cowan cowan.pd at gmail.com
Wed May 3 01:26:02 UTC 2006

On 5/2/06, Charilaos Skiadas <cskiadas at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> On May 2, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Peter Cowan wrote:
>
> > I'm not too savvy with writing commands yet, but perhaps R --slave can
> > do what you want.  It writes to standard output.  Every time it is
> > called might be a new instance of R though, which would be problematic
> > for evaluating previously assigned function etc.  I also don't know
> > how it handles figures.
>
> R --slave does get rid of the ">" in front, so that could be helpful.
> But my problem is with keeping an interactive connection with R. I am
> trying to do it in Ruby using popen, but the problem that I have is
> that the input and output pipes don't really work simultaneously.
> I.e. I'd like to be able to write a single line to input, then read
> all the output, then send another line etc. The regular pipes in Ruby
> don't seem to be able to do that, and I really don't have the time
> right now to figure out another way.

You can fake it by doing 'R --save --restore --slave' which saves a
.Rdata file with stored functions and variables and restores whatever
one it can find.  There of course can be side effects if a workspace
exists from a previous use.

Oh, btw for getting tooltip help you can use this command and send the
output to a tooltip:

printf "?$TM_SELECTED_TEXT" | R --slave

Or when you said instant, did you intend mouse hovering to bring up
the tooltip?

Peter