[TxMt] Show Invisibles (Spaces) in TextMate?

Ryan J. Bonnell ryan at creativearc.com
Tue Mar 28 05:35:40 UTC 2006

I'm a long-time web developer and BBEdit user wanting to learn TextMate for
a Ruby on Rails project. I've grown used to relying on BBEdit's show
invisibles command as meaning "show me tabs, spaces, line-endings, and other
non-printing characters (gremlins)" as symbols. I was expecting the same
behavior out of TextMate as BBEdit or SubEthaEdit, but it doesn't seem to
work the same.

I've searched the TextMate documentation and the mailing list archive for
any mention of "showing spaces", (i.e. the ability to show spaces, a la
BBEdit's "Show Invisibles" command) but I've been unable to find any results
that address my problem.

However, TextMate seems to show tabs and line endings but not any more of
the non-printing characters that BBEdit shows. I was able to find the
ShowInvisibles Bundle for TexMate that aims to highlight tabs and spaces in
different colors but it doesn't appear to work with my setup and/or
preferences.

    ShowInvisibles Bundle (11-27-04)
    http://macromates.com/wiki/pmwiki?n=Bundles.ShowInvisibles

Has anyone had any success in configuring TextMate to "Show Invisibles" or
"Show Spaces" like BBEdit or SubEthaEdit allow? If there's a a build of
TextMate that already does is, I can't find it and in that case would
appreciate a hint or help getting it working. Thanks!

- Ryan J. Bonnell
ryan at creativearc.com
http://creativearc.com/