[TxMt] mate link creation error

Brian Caldwell lists at rainpuddle.com
Thu Mar 2 05:45:16 UTC 2006

Hi -

Using TM v.1.5 (906), I selected Terminal Usage... from the Help menu. I
got a message window titled "Enhanced Terminal Usage" which explained
about the shell command "mate" and asked where to create a symlink. I
left the default location as /usr/bin and clicked then "Create Link"
button. The standard admin user authentication box pops up, I enter the
secret password. Then I get a error message box that says:

Couldn't Create Link

Creating the link "/usr/bin/mate" failed with the following reason:
Operation not permitted

Hmmm. I check to see if mate is in /bin. Nope. Okay let's check /usr/
bin. Ahh a symlink but not a valid one. The link is /Users/aurora/
Desktop/TextMate.app/Contents/Resources/mate. The correct link should
be /Users/aurora/Desktop/TextMate/TextMate.app/Contents/Resources/mate.
Which in turn is a symlink to ../SharedSupport/Support/bin/mate where it
truly is. So, I deleted the bad symlink at /usr/bin and recreated it
properly. After a rehash, where mate shows it at /usr/bin/mate. And mate
-h returns help as it should.

Conclusion: whatever process or command within Textmate that created the
original (bad) symlink in /usr/bin needs to get tweaked to add the
TextMate bundle (Textmate) into the source file name. The Textmate app
name (TextMate.app) is fine, but both are needed.

Hope this helps,

Brian Caldwell