[TxMt] How Long Must We Wait for CVS Support?

Jonathan Barrett j.e.barrett at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 14:52:43 UTC 2006

> I'd recommend searching the archives first, then, as Jonathan
> pointed, reading Brent Simmons’ post[1], which, BTW, is not
> Jonathan posting about how he hates feature requests, but a post of
> the NetNewsWire's dev. explaining how to make feature requests that
> might have a chance to succeed.
>
> This list is friendly, keep it that way.

A quick follow up to that - apologies for the terseness of my reply
in the first instance. It was late, I had (foolishly, it seems!)
thought that this thread would just be ignored, and I wasn't trying
to flamebait. I just remembered reading that post[1] when it was
first written, and thought it amusing that this feature request just
about hit every one of the "don't do this" points.

I agree that CVS integration would be a nice feature, but I also
agree that posting feature requests which may come across as
threatening demands is really the issue here, not whether CVS is
better than SVN, or how much we all love Allan :)

For what it's worth, I think what *also* caused a spark here is the
fact that, although TextMate is closed source, it has an excellent
bundle mechanism for adding precisely this sort of functionality. In
my humble opinion, TextMate should have as *little* built into it as
possible - Allan's developing a platform here, not an application,
and the better the platform is, the more flexible it can become. My
gut tells me that the community likes that approach, and the idea of
building in more functionality which can already be provided via an
*optional* bundle is seen as being completely orthogonal to this
winning philosophy.

In summary, yes, let's keep this friendly, and I'm sorry if I did
anything to hamper that goal.

Cheers,

-J

[1]http://inessential.com/?comments=1&postid=3291