[TxMt] How Long Must We Wait for CVS Support?

Methnen (AKA Jamie) jamie at methnen.com
Mon Jun 26 06:24:49 UTC 2006

On Jun 25, 2006, at 10:42 PM, Court K. wrote:
> Yes, thanks this still doesn't solve any problems. Rather than
> spending an hour posting on a blog about how you hate feature
> requests, why not just implement the really good ones?. Especially
> Really Good CVS, Subversion, SFTP, Editing over the networking
> stuff. There is not one single good CVS client for mac, eclipse,
> zend studio, all of them suck, yet textmate "is the missing editor
> for the 21st century", Well in the 21st century almost every file
> is edited online and checked into a versioning system. And of
> course since the author wouldn't want to put it to a vote, (even
> though every single person using TextMate) would want CVS support
> built in... I guess we're just out of luck.

Court, why did you send the same post again?  Isn't this the second
time you sent the same email?  The first time you sent the request
someone answered you quite directly saying that SFTP and FTP were
both something the next major version would likely have as Alan has
said they are on his list.

And as has been stated your opinion of important isn't necessarily
everyone else's.  Nor is it necessarily the opinion held by even
"most" people.

The current subversion support is more than enough for my needs and
obviously its more than enough for most of the other people using it
or we would hear more complaints.  And we don't.  That blog post was
actually posted by someone else (I believe the author of BBEdit).
The person was just pointing out (by providing a link to someone
else's blog post) that your way of going about requesting wasn't
likely to elicit a positive response simply because everyone has
their own ideas about what is important and you aren't necessarily
tapped into those ideas nearly as well as you may think you are.

> I'm irritated that the only comments have been, about the actual
> comment an not the feature I'm requesting, or others have
> requested. If textmate really isn't interested in becoming the
> missing editor for the 21st century, then I'm going to post, a
> $20,000 bounty for several x-code developers to make me a near
> duplicate of textmate with full cvs browser, subversion, browser,
> sftp, and network connectivity and give it for free.

If you have that much money more power to you.  But I can tell you,
most competent programmers are going to need heck of a lot more money
than that to motivate them.  Good luck with that.

Jamie

Email: jamie at methnen.com
Homepage: http://www.methnen.com

"And I always go to pieces.  And I have it in my mind, that the sky is
tall and heavy, when I could be brave."
-Karen Peris (Brave)

"I want to find where the maid in the street is pouring her wine,
I heard she takes you in and gives you the words you need said.
If you'll be her brother, she'll kiss you like a sister.
She'll even be your mother, for now."
-Matt Slocum (Sister, Mother)

"And we are drowned."
-Annie Dillard (Tickets For a Prayer Wheel)