[TxMt] Suggestion: merge Go to File / Symbol

Steve Lianoglou lists at arachnedesign.net
Fri Jun 16 03:20:32 UTC 2006

Hey,

I was just thinking it would be cool if the Go To Symbol action
worked a bit like Quicksilver .. of sorts.

Like, let's say you knew the 'symbol' (function) you wanted to jump
to in a particular function, you could do something like:

Cmd-T to bring up the Go To File dialog.
	1) Locate the file you like w/ a few key strokes
	2) hit right-arrow (or some other trigger)
	2.5) a side window pops up (like when you hit the right arrow in
quicksilver) with a list of the symbols in the file,
	3) bang out a few keystrokes to find the right symbol.

Taking that one step further.

Let's say your cursor is inside a symbol (function) of that is found
in the file you are jumping to, it would be cool if that was the
default selected symbol in the right-pop-out window that comes out.

Consider this situation

I'm working in my Book class and my cursor is between l and C i
getPostalCode():
	// .. code
	this.publisher.getPostalCode();
	// ... code

I'm thinking -- what the heck does 'getPostalCode()' do?:
	1) Cmd-T
	2) type 'pub' (to get to Publisher file)
	3) hit right arrow: a blow out window pops up to the right, with the
symbols parsed from Publisher
	3.5) TextMate realizes I'm in the getPostalCode method, since my
cursor is there, and has that symbol highlighted first, so I can just
hit enter to jump to that part of the file, or
	4) type 'liq' to jump to the 'liquidate()' symbol in Publisher class
(since I know what getPostalCode does)

Or you can just do Cmd-T then wait for file to open and do cmd-shift-
t as it stands now.

Just thinking.
-steve