[TxMt] Bundle items, Unicode & SVN

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sun Jun 11 13:58:59 UTC 2006

On 11/6/2006, at 15:47, thomas Aylott wrote:

>> I.e. works fine.
> I'm happy for you.
> But that still doesn't help me.
> If 1.3.1 fixes it then that's great, but it doesn't help me share
> this stuff. People aren't go to bother upping to the latest point
> point release just to use by bundles.

    % ls -l `which svn`
    -rwxr-xr-x   2 root  admin  323916 May 13  2005 /opt/local/bin/svn

So I installed this more than a year ago. Maybe it only is 1.3.0, I
couldn’t find an option to make the svn executable itself give the
version number.

If 1.3.1 “fixes” this, then clearly 1.3.0 had a bug, and TM shouldn’t
be changed to cater to a bug in svn which was fixed more than a year
ago.

But I don’t think this really is a bug, I would suspect this is
something else. And as the problem is with a tab character, then it
is not clear what exactly the “workaround” in TM should be, i.e. how
many other ASCII characters could trigger this?

> [...]
> When trying to checkout to my dreamhost server, i get:
> svn: Can't recode string

Did you set LC_CTYPE to utf-8? And is this a checkout of http://
textmate.svn.subtlegradient.com/?

I tried to checkout this to both a BSD and a Linux server, both
worked w/o problems (revision 130.)

> I still think it would be best to save the file names to be
> compatible with lowest common denominator. It doesn't even matter
> what the file names are since the real full name is stored in the
> thing itself.

But I need to know what lowest common denominator is -- that a tab
character is excluded from this set, indicates that ASCII is not the
lowest common denominator.