[TxMt] Some theme related requests

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sun Jun 11 13:38:33 UTC 2006

On 11/6/2006, at 12:35, Daniel Käsmayr wrote:

> A) project / language / bundle dependent  theme settings? [...]

Long-term, yes.

> B) themes that only complement a basic theme [...]

GUI mockups appreciated -- the initial debut of themes did allow
this, but it was horribly complicated, so I opted for the much
simpler “just one flat list” approach.

Limiting it to just one superclass would give a reasonable simple
GUI, but likely this would be too primitive, as I am sure those who
would use this feature, would want more than just a base theme and
one to augment it -- and those who would not use it (majority of
people) would have one extra control to worry about in the preferences.

> C) and as a sidenote to B) an option for bundle developers to
> inject certain stylings into a theme.

Technically possible, e.g. the Diff bundle does provide the (default)
styles for markup.inserted, markup.deleted, and markup.changed -- but
it’s not something I endorse, and the bundle editor GUI is not made
out for visual settings, but in practice bundle preferences and
visual settings (themes) are all just settings with scope selectors
-- this does though have the disadvantage that bundles would inject
into every theme (though with lower priority than the theme itself,)
meaning that this is not useful for colors (as the bundle can’t know
if the theme is light on dark or dark on light.

> D) Maybe the ability to add emty lines before or after a scope? [...]

You mean like e.g. setting the margin of an element using a scope
selector? Long-term I have some enhancements planned for the display
model, but this is very long-term, and I believe this would be the
more general solution to your request.