[TxMt] Bundle items, Unicode & SVN

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Jun 7 20:27:10 UTC 2006

On 7/6/2006, at 13:38, thomas Aylott wrote:

> Using crazy characters in the names can potentially upset subversion.

It can? This is with LC_CTYPE set correctly? How does the problems
manifest themselves?

We do use crazy glyphs in the default bundle items.

> and since my svn server runs on a linux box, it can get even more
> upset when i try to do a checkout there.

hmm… I do not know what the de facto encoding for Linux file systems
are. I could imagine that there is still a lot of stuff stuck with
latin-1 or just “8 bit clean, but let’s show it as ASCII.”

> SO
>
> Can we change the way it makes the actual file system file names to
> not use crazy characters even though they are in the names of
> bundle items themselves?

I actually did consider to do ASCII transliteration, because of all
those who do a svn checkout w/o reading all the steps first ;) but
then I also think that it’s a shame to cater to the common
denominator, when Apple actually made our file system work with all
unicode code points!

> Personally, i think it should be the default behavior, but it could
> just as easily be done as a command.

I could maybe do it as a hidden option -- no sane Mac system should
give a problem with this.