[TxMt] What app is used for screencasts?

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sun Jul 16 10:55:09 UTC 2006

On 15/7/2006, at 20:31, Domenico Carbotta wrote:

>> The bigger question is what audio and video settings are used.
> video: apple animation codec
> audio: IMA 4:1, I think.

Lately I have switched to h.264 and AAC. One can’t change audio
encoding with Snapz Pro X (AFAIK) and using h.264 directly (when
saving) doesn’t give a very good ratio [1].

So the last one I did with Snapz Pro X was post-transcoded to AAC/h.
264 (I saved it using highest quality I think with animaiton or
graphics [2]). This resulted in 30 MB for 8 minutes. But strangely I
recorded in 800x600 yet the result is 1187x890.

The Objective-C Part 2 screencast was done with iShowU, here I saved
in raw and then encoded it afterwards which resulted in roughly 12 MB
for 12 minutes. So that’s pretty good. The movie ended up as 627x470,
this was also recorded as 800x600. So not sure what’s up with that.

iShowU had the problem that the mouse pointer was a few seconds
behind the actual action -- I don’t know if this has since been
improved, if not, it’s not really a candidate for movies which use
the mouse.

The ability to save in raw and then use Quicktime to post-process it
was however luring.

[1] The audio codec may have affected my judgment here.
[2] One of them only supports 256 colors, so not that one.