[TxMt] Overriding items in TM_SUPPORT_PATH

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sat Jul 8 11:33:51 UTC 2006

On 8/7/2006, at 13:16, Mats Persson wrote:

> [...] The above seem to indicate that I should just have another
> copy of the Support stuff from the SVN locally, and that needs to
> be updated on a regular basis in order to stay ahead of your
> version in the app. It would also seem to mean that I would have to
> inflict my version of the .css on everyone else, just to have the
> version that I like.

Why would your local changes have to be inflicted on others?

> Did I get that correctly ?  IF so, then a much better version would
> be to look for the local Support dir / file and IF found then use
> that, else use the default version regardless of version number or
> anything like it.

I don’t fully understand -- are you saying you don’t want TM to
respect the newly introduced version file, so that you can have local
changes w/o having to ensure that the files you haven’t modified are
up-to-date?

The last month(s) has seen dozens of support questions from people
who had an old support folder but bundles which relied on the latest
version -- thus I introduced this version number.

I reckon what you’re really after is moving CSS out of the support
folder and make a separate system to deal with CSS customizations.
Currently though a lot of bundles ship with their own CSS, so I don’t
know how much would actually be gained from that.

If the CSS was factored out, there is however still the problem with
versioning and keeping up-to-date. E.g. the Status command in the
Subversion bundle is currently going through major stylistic changes
-- if anyone had a local version of the Subversions CSS folder which
eclipsed the default one, he would probably get a rather screwy
visual result when he got the new command (but not CSS.)