[TxMt] Question to LaTeX bundle users

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 26 18:26:18 UTC 2006

On Jan 26, 2006, at 10:25 AM, Alan Schussman wrote:

>> So what do I write into the value field of the TM_LATEX_BIB
>> variable? Do I need to write in the path or only the file name?
>>

> At this point, it needs the full path to the bib file. I wonder if
> the script could use the same method that bibtex uses (kpsewhich?)
> to find the file. That doesn't seem necessary when using
> TM_LATEX_BIB, because that's a variable specific to OSX/TextMate --
> so no cross-platform worries there. But, needing to specify the
> full path when using a \bibliography{}

in the \bibliography{} thing you should not have to specify the full
path, only the relative path, relative to the directory of the
current file, and you shouldn't even need to put the .bib at the end.
TM_LATEX_BIB needs the full path.

> command is potentially something that could break cross-platform
> compatibility of the .tex file itself, or would pose problems if
> one were to move the local texmf tree for some reason. I'm not
> entirely familiar with how the innards of that file-finding
> actually work, but eventually being able to search the texmf tree
> would probably be a good way to go about it.

That is true, but it is a bit more elaborate than what I want to go
into right now. I guess I keep my bib file near the corresponding tex
file. Where do other people keep their bib files? I could try to come
up with a better search, but I don't really know where I should be
looking.

>> Will this also work, if I use "footcite" for citing? And what
>> would the shortcut be for this way of completion? The same as
>> before (Cmd-Esc)?
>>

> I think only \cite works right now, but it would be ideal if we
> could complete footcite as well as the cite commands from natbib
> (citet, citep, citeyear, etc).

This is just a question of adding \footcite to the list of commands
that give you  the scope meta.cite.latex.
I just wasn't aware of it. I'll add it later today when I update things.

This is still a work in progress, so thank you all for your patience
and feedback.

Let me mention here as well the extra new completion commands, that
work by pressing escape, when the scope is either labels or
bibliography respectively. In order to run those, you need to do and
svn update on the global Support directory, which should reside under
~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Support
There are three new files in the bin subfolder of that, whose names
start with "Latex".

Btw, the BibDesk completion command will not be deleted, just
"deprecated" in the sense that a new bibliography completion command
will be constructed, and I personally will work mostly on that one,
apart from fixing the problems I am currently aware of with the
bibDesk one (thanks Attilio). Anyone with shell scripting knowledge
is welcome to improve on it.

@Christian: I'd rather not use the .aux file, since it is not always
up to date. I might however try to make the script look at all
\include{}'s also.

Haris