[TxMt] cocoApell really slows down TextMate

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Tue Jan 24 03:54:15 UTC 2006

On 24/1/2006, at 4:30, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> I have been using TM (1.5 (906)) off and on for a couple of days
> now and I noticed this evening that typing had become glacially
> slow. I ran the Activity Monitor and noticed that as I type,
> cocoAspell (2.0.2) was using about 70% of the processor on a 1.5
> GHz PowerBook G4. I turned off "Check Spelling As You Type" and the
> problem went away. I haven't noticed this problem in any other app
> for which I am checking spelling as I type. Is this a known issue
> [...]

Sort of. TextMate will re-check the entire line (or at least the
subset for which spell checking hasn't been disabled through scope
specific preferences) on each mutating action whereas NSTextView only
checks when you move the caret away from a word (afaik) -- so TM is
calling the spell checker much more than NSTextView, which can be a
problem if the spell checking isn't fast.

I currently do not have any plans of changing this.