[TxMt] Re: LaTeX testers needed

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Thu Dec 21 07:55:16 UTC 2006

These are all the global support directory. More specifically:
On Dec 21, 2006, at 2:47 AM, Piero D'Ancona wrote:

> Ok so let's make it clear. What do you mean by
> global support? On my computer I have:
>
> 1) /TextMate/Contents/SharedSupport/Support

This is what comes bundled with TM. You should never edit that.

> 2) /Library/Application Support/TextMate/Support

This is what you checked out from svn. You should update that.

> 3) ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Support

This is a local version of this folder that shouldn't be there at
all. In the case of bundles this holds local modifications, in the
case of the global support directory you should remove it. Then
things should start working again, if you also update 2 via svn.

The order in which these take efffect is:
If 3 is there, then that is being used. If not, and 2 is there, then
that is being used. If they are not there , then 1 is being used.

For bundles the order is similar, except with a twist. Say the
command is called foo.tmCommand and lives in the LaTeX bundles. Then
the three files under discussion would be:

1) /TextMate/Contents/SharedSupport/Bundles/Latex.tmbundles/Commands/
foo.tmCommand

2) /Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/Latex.tmbundles/
Commands/foo.tmCommand

3) ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles/Latex.tmbundles/
Commands/foo.tmCommand

The order again is 3 > 2 > 1, except when 3 is a  "delta" file, in
which case it is being merged with the next file
that's there.

Normally none of these is a problem if you follow the instructions
from section 5.7.3 of the manual.

It is not an easy problem to solve really, if it is to allow you the
flexibility of being able to edit any commands you like to your
heart's content. I think Allan has found a decent balance and most of
the time you do not need to worry about such details at all.

The big red button saying UPDATE is there, and it is the one coming
up when TM is updated and asks you if you want to install the new
version, and if you have not messed with svn much that's all you
would need to do. If you have messed with svn, then the button is
called "svn up". These normally work

In your case, the presence of  ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/
Support will give you trouble no matter what, since it should never
have been there in the first place.

Haris