[TxMt] R html help

Paul Levine circumspectral at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 05:16:09 UTC 2006

Hi Textmate gurus,

I have only been messing around with Textmate for a few days now, but
I am incredibly impressed, and I can see why it is called "the" text
editor for Mac.

I had been using TeXshop for LaTeX (which is still a great program,
but not nearly as powerful as Textmate), R.app for stats and
numerical programming in R, and the X11-based idlde for IDL
programming, and now I am glad to be switching to Textmate for all
those needs.

One thing I am having trouble with, however, is getting the html R
help to appear.  When I select a valid R command (one for which help
(command) in R would bring up the html help page for that command),
no help file opens, and the returned tool tip says:

/tmp/temp_textmate.eOPTfa:8:in `require': No such file to load -- /
Applications/TextMate.app/Contents/SharedSupport/Support/lib/
current_word (LoadError)
	from /tmp/temp_textmate.eOPTfa:8

I am no scripter, but I looked in the bundle editor at this command,
and it is a pretty serious looking ruby script.  Will I have to learn
ruby to figure out what is going on here?  or is it possibly
something much more simple that I am overlooking?

The first few lines of the ruby script (after the shebang and a
comment) are as follows:

require "#{ENV["TM_SUPPORT_PATH"]}/lib/exit_codes"
require "#{ENV["TM_SUPPORT_PATH"]}/lib/escape"
require "#{ENV["TM_SUPPORT_PATH"]}/lib/web_preview"
require File.join(ENV["TM_SUPPORT_PATH"], "lib/current_word")
require 'base64'

now, I don't know anything about ruby, but I am guessing that these
are perhaps some environment variables that I need to set in the
Textmate preferences?  If so, what is the proper way to assign more
than one location to the TM_SUPPORT_PATH variable?  do I simply put a
colon between each absolute path name?  If so, that takes care of the
first three lines, but the last two are still a mystery to me.

If anyone could get me going in the right direction here, I would me
most appreciative.  Like I said before, I am no sctipter, other than
the occasional shell script, but one of the really appealing aspects
of Textmate is that it seems like a good way to learn about scripting
through useful examples.  If the solution to my problem is to learn
enough ruby to understand what the script does so I can troubleshoot
it, so be it, but in the meantime I wonder if there is a simpler
solution?

Thanks,
Paul