[TxMt] Re: C Library bundle MONSTER

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Thu Dec 7 16:57:24 UTC 2006

On Dec 7, 2006, at 11:16 AM, William D. Neumann wrote:

> If it's so trivial a program, why didn't you just write those 10
> lines of Ruby instead of the 36 lines of response to my email?

Because as I already said, I have already written these 10 lines of
Ruby, and the code is in the LaTeX bundle. I have no interest
whatsoever in C, so this would be better done by the original bundle
poster, or someone else with some use for it. Responding to this
email however, and discussing the presence of this bundle as it
stands, is of interest to me.
And it would take a bit longer to write than the 36 lines of the
response, it is still 10 lines of code, that need testing etc.

> Anyway, it's no skin off my nose if the bundle gets deleted or
> not.  I've probably written 100 lines of C in the entire year.  But
> what I do have a problem with is the seemingly single-handed
> decision (well, now I guess it's triple handed or so)

This is the opinion of at least five of the top 10 committers to the
repository, I wouldn't call it exactly "single-handed". and so far we
have only heard one opinion against removing it. I would say the
majority of the committers who have expressed an opinion on the
matter is in favor of removing the bundle in its present form, and as
you can see from the other thread an effort for something better and
greater has already started.

> to delete someone else's bundle without a compelling reason.  If
> that's what Alan wants that's fine -- it's his playground and his
> ball.  But it doesn't sit right when it's the intramural squad that
> wants to take down the nets.

Since Allan is on vacation at the moment, we'll have to wait a couple
of weeks to find out what his views are. But I can tell you that he
is very much against large menus and menus with more than two levels
deep. This is one of the reasons the LaTeX bundle doesn't have 1500
snippets for all sorts of text, Allan wouldn't even hear of
cluttering the bundle in that way.

> William D. Neumann

Haris