[TxMt] running command to remote computer via ssh

Brandon Sandrowicz brandon at tri-coder.org
Wed Aug 16 04:00:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 10:44:52AM -0700, Charles Stuart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is is possible to create a bundle command which would run a specified
> command to a remote computer via ssh? I am running Mac OS X, and I use
> Samba + ssh to work on my dev environment which is a Linux box.
>
> I repeatedly have to run a command to refresh the environment to check
> changes. I tried using quicksilver and the terminal plugin to send the
> command, but I couldn't figure out how to have it point the command to
> the active terminal window which was already ssh'd to dev box.
>
> I'm thinking the best solution might be to set up passwordless
> authentication via SSH and set the remote computer details in the
> script?
>
> best,
> Charles

I'm new to the list and don't know much about bundle editing, but you're not
going to be able to 'send a command to the active terminal window' from
TextMate either.  Unless there is a way to externally send a command to a
specific tty (there may me, I don't know) you're going to have to setup ssh
with passwordless authentication to run the command.  So after you do that,
it's up to your preference to use QuickSilver to run the command or to try
and create a bundle command to do it.

Another thought (just thought of this) is leveraging some sort of  Applescript
to determine which Terminal window you want and send the command text to that
Terminal window.

In summary, neither QuickSilver nor TextMate are going to be able to determine
which terminal window you want to send the command to.  You'll need to find a
way to do that on your own.  Once you figure that out though (or get around it
with a passwordless ssh connection), you can then use either one to execute
the command.

Brandon