[TxMt] A Feature I would kill (and pay for) true Xcode integration...

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Fri Apr 28 05:58:44 UTC 2006

On 28/4/2006, at 7:45, Vinay Venkatesh wrote:

> Yeah, thanks for the response Allan.  Well, I'll tell you what.  If
> you're willing to do _some_ hacking, I'll hack around Xcode
> internals and see if I can work up a sample plugin that does
> something similar...

I can’t imagine that this is anything but horrible and frustratingly
complex, and I am not setting time aside for such venture ;) I would
encourage you to submit feedback to Apple for “modularizing” Xcode to
better leverage external text editors. Although personally, I do not
have much faith in this going to ever work very well.

IMHO Apple should (if getting TM to “work” with Xcode is the goal)
provide shell commands to manipulate their (currently closed) project
formats and open up their project indexing and documentation lookup
stuff.

> I.e.  I don't know what the TextMate TextView inheritence is, but
> I'd be willing to get you the information to at least investigate
> the possibility.

There is none. TextMate’s control inherits directly from NSView/
NSResponder and implements the NSTextInput protocol, but that’s it.
Fitting it into Xcode is not simple.

> Unfortuantely for me, I don't have a real option to switch to
> makefiles as I am working on projects with others.  ..

Okay, but did you try dragging the folder with the Xcode project onto
TextMate? You can still keep Xcode open in the background, but do all
editing in TM, including getting features such as cmd-T for switching
between files, you can double click Nib files in the project drawer
to open them in Interface Builder, you can use cmd-B / cmd-R to build
and run the project, and builds have clickable errors that take you
to the erroneous line, and you can use control H on either Cocoa
classes/symbols or POSIX/stdlib functions to get documentation for that.