[TxMt] Tidy changes doctype to XHTML Strict?

Tobias Jung newsgr at tobiasjung.net
Sat Apr 1 13:35:55 UTC 2006

At 23:01 Uhr -0800 31.03.2006, Eric O'Brien wrote:
> After running Tidy on documents with a doctype of
>
>     XHTML 1.0 Transitional
>
> The doctype definition is replace with the "Strict" version.
>

> I did a little digging and there is a -doctype switch in Tidy, but
> setting it to
>
> --doctype -transitional
>
> in the Tidy bundle has no effect... Transitional is still changed to
> Strict.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?

Hi Eric,

I'm not sure about this, but I think that Tidy only switches to
Transitional of there are elements in the document that are only allowed in
Transitional (i.e. "deprecated" elements).
If there are no such elements, Tidy switches to Strict doctype because the
document really is writtenin strict XHTML syntax.

Regards,
Tobias