[TxMt] Balance Tags / Select Scope

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Wed Sep 14 18:58:17 UTC 2005

On 14/09/2005, at 19.52, thomas Aylott wrote:

> Is there any way to emulate the balance tags command in BBEdit?
>     If your selection is between brackets or between tag pairs,
> balance tags selects the brackets and everything within it with a
> shortcut.

Cmd-shift-B does that for the (asymmetric) characters set as smart
typing pairs.

> for textmate
> We might be able to emulate that function and improve on it.
> The command would extend the selection to select the entire scope
> at the insertion point.
> Hitting it again would select the next scope up the chain.

Yes, I've wanted to change the cmd-shift-B to select parent scope,
since e.g. @"obj-c strings" and similar really needs to be “parsed”
to be selected.

> Is this something that I could do with a command, or is it
> something that would require a change to the programming?
>
> I figure the data has to be in there somewhere in order to color
> the scope.
> I have no idea what it would take to like command-double-click on a
> scope to select the whole thing or some such thing.

You can't currently reach scopes from commands. I do have some vague
plans about opening it up, e.g. doing queries and such -- but it'll
have to wait a little.