[TxMt] word completion lookup

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Tue Sep 6 16:21:53 UTC 2005

On 06/09/2005, at 11.04, Graeme Mathieson wrote:

>> My suggestion is that you sort them by proximity (as it is now),
>> but look for words in both directions, so the words right in the
>> next line stand a better chance.
> That would be most excellent.  In addition, it'd be really nice if
> TextMate had the option to look in other files in the project --
> for example, the completion of a function from another file.
>
> The utterly uber-cool feature would be if the project-wide
> completion was scope sensitive...

You can actually overload the completion for different scopes.

Here's the example from the release notes (a preferences item in the
bundle editor):

    completionCommand = 'php -r \'$a = get_defined_functions();
print_r(implode("\n", $a["internal"]));\'|grep "^$TM_CURRENT_WORD"|
sort';
    disableDefaultCompletion = 1;

This disables the default suggestions, and instead completes based on
PHP's list of build-in functions. You'd set the scope for this to
source.php -- but you can also set it to a more restrictive scope.

To search *.cc files in current files directory, you could do
something like:

    completionCommand = 'cd "$TM_DIRECTORY"; cat *.cc|tr -cs
"[:alpha:]_" "\n"|grep "^$TM_CURRENT_WORD."|sort|uniq';