[TxMt] Half Window View - Extra Space in Text Window

Allan Odgaard allan at macromates.com
Fri Sep 2 05:18:08 UTC 2005

On 25/08/2005, at 5.46, Ivan wrote:

> Half window view is like adding "virtual space" in text windows to
> push the last line to the middle of the windows. It behaviors as if
> you have added a couple of returns at the end of the document. I hate
> to see all the lines in the viewing area pushed up everytime I hit
> return or softwrap to the next line. With half window views, the lines
> only get pushed up every half window instead of every line.

I didn't understand this: do you mean that when you hit arrow down or
return on the last visible line, the line with the caret shall then
be centered in the display (like NSTextView does, which I absolutely
hate), or, that if a document contain 80 lines, it's still possible
to have line #80 centered, due to virtual lines below #80?

As for the latter, I have on the to-do that cmd-J (center caret in
display) should add padding to always achieve centering (i.e. also
when the caret is on the last lines of the document), but I don't
like always having the padding, since the vertical scroll bar would
then be wrong.