[TxMt] Remote editing via ssh peer review.

Kevin Ballard kevin at sb.org
Mon Oct 10 10:29:08 UTC 2005

On Oct 10, 2005, at 4:27 AM, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

> I agree that using rsync will make it more usable, since it is
> often that you're working on more than one file and you don't want
> to go through the hassle of locating each one that needs to be
> uploaded.
>
> However, I'm in a position where the system administration of the
> server where I can keep files do not support SSH keys. They have
> the strict attitude that it is not safe to have passwords in files[1].

Well that's silly. You'd have to be phenomenally stupid to give out
you private key and it doesn't matter if your public key gets loose.
Plus, since the .ssh directory *has* to be readable *only* by you in
order for keys to work, it's not like other people can waltz in and
take them. Passwords are far less secure. And the key is even better
if you use a passphrase with the key.

> So I need a way to feed the password to the command before it fires
> up and I don't really want to hardcode this into a command. Does
> anyone know of a nice way of using a dialog to get the password and
> feed it to the command when needed ?

I've been poking around and there's an env var called SSH_ASKPASS
that's supposed to make ssh get it's password by executing a command
(you'd use it with CocoaDialog), but I can't get it to actually do
anything.

I think your best bet is to convince the sysadmin that SSH keys are
more secure than passwords.

--
Kevin Ballard
kevin at sb.org