[TxMt] Help with bundles

Neil Lee neil at hushboom.com
Wed Oct 5 14:23:23 UTC 2005

Le 05-10-05 à 04:23, Mats Persson a écrit :

> Neil,  I'm concerned that you are on the verge of making a big
> mistake, something that you will 'curse' yourself for one day, so
> hence this reply.

Mats, I totally appreciate you taking the time to write that, and for
the most part I agree. It's great to see that Textmate has a
dedicated (rabid? heh) following.

This is my attitude about the whole thing: It's text.

I've been a web designer for 7 years, and have used many text
editors, but at the end of if all, it's just text. Using BBEdit or
any other editor instead of Textmate isn't going to make me "curse",
or lament, or scream and throw hissy fits, as it all ends up being
the same thing in the end. :)

For me, it's all about billable hours. I need to feed a family, pay
down debt, save for a rainy day, etc., and every time I need to learn
a new application (like a major Flash upgrade, etc.) I need to weigh
the benefits vs. the amount of billable hours the learning will suck up.

Textmate looks great, but for me it's reminiscent of many open source
projects: great application, incredible community, scattered and
poorly written documentation. For lots and lots of people that's
fine, but for me, I need something I can get in, rip apart quickly,
and figure how to do what I need to do quickly.

I'm sure if I spent some time with Textmate I'd learn what I need to
learn, but with deadlines and clients kicking me in the ass, I just
can't afford the time. I only have so many hours in me that I can
spend in front of the computer, after all.

So, yeah. I'll open Textmate and fiddle with it here and there, and
I'll definitely start using it more often. But I know there are many
others like me who just don't have the inclination to pick through
some basic documentation,l a wiki, a IRC chat, a mailing list, and a
web site to try and figure out how to get text into a document
faster. I'd rather spend that time making money.

So, and I'll say it again, documentation! Give me a printable set of
docs that I can take with me on the metro and I'm yours for life. The
fact that I just spent the time writing this rambling reply hopefully
shows that I'm hopeful for TM. :)

Neil
P.S. I'm a designer: HTML, CSS, some server-side, etc. - not a full-
fledged programmer. This hopefully explains why when I look at
bundles it makes my eyes throb.

--
Slumming at the BeatnikPad : http://www.beatnikpad.com/
The person you love is 72.8% water.