[TxMt] Feature request/query

Gerd Knops gerti at bitart.com
Mon Oct 3 16:17:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 3, at 6:28 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 01/10/2005, at 18.21, Gerd Knops wrote:
>

>> However I found that a constant display a la CodeBrowser in jEdit
>> is much more helpful, especially when working through someone
>> else's code. Could we not have a list view/tree view in a drawer,
>> or for project windows make the project drawer into a split view
>> and have one half of it display the symbols?
>>

> So basically just adding TmCodeBrowser as a drawer in the opposite
> side of the normal file drawer?
>
> I probably like the idea of the split with a detail view for the
> selected item the most, but just allowing a plugin to attach a
> drawer to the side would be a lot easier to do (and keep the
> content free form).

Sounds good to me.

BTW jEdit's CodeBrowser uses a TreeView to group the 'types' ctags
emits (eg functions, subroutines, classes, defines etc). And since
display of some of these makes more sense than others, CodeBrowser
keeps language-dependant defaults which of those types are unfolded
and which are folded. That seems to work well, and may be something
to keep in mind. Also when selecting an item, it not only jumps to
that place in the code but also unfolds any folds potentially
associated with the symbol.

>> [...] Of course it helped that jEdit can be configured to unfold
>> all folds inside a fold when clicking on the fold marker.
>>

> I am going to add the option click you requested rather soonish
> probably.

YES :-))

Gerd