[TxMt] wanker alert

Paul Bissex paul.bissex at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 16:03:19 UTC 2005

On 11/18/05, Matt Henderson <matt2 at makalumedia.com> wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2005, at 2:29 PM, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:
>
> > I didn't know him, but further reading shows that he is a software
> > developer at Freshly Squeezed Software...
> > Somehow I find that very hard to believe.
>
> Erik Barzeski, the owner of the nslog() weblog was the owner of
> Freshly Squeezed Software, before he sold it earlier this year. He
> conceived a lot of innovative stuff during that time, including the
> Pulp Fiction news reader, and the "magic mirror" FTP feature, which
> has since been copied by most of the other FTP clients.
>
> His opinions (or more particularly his expression of those opinions)
> are often considered annoying by people, but in general, as a Mac OS
> X technologist, he's pretty well respected in the community.

Yeah. I find his tone pretty snotty at times, but I have to say I
agree with most of his underlying points. I know people who really
like TextMate and own it and use it all the time who find the
Find/Replace dialog a bit underpowered compared to BBEdit's; or who,
to paraphrase Darth Vader, find its lack of AppleScript support
disturbing.

I think that it's important when one is a fan of something (as we all
are of TextMate) not to adopt a knee-jerk, dismissive attitude toward
criticism -- even when the criticism is gracelessly phrased.

pb

--
Paul Bissex
http://e-scribe.com/news/