[TxMt] hang dragging bmp image

Jonas Witt jonas.witt at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 17:49:26 UTC 2005

On 16.11.2005, at 18:22, salvo wrote:
> for a mistake I dragged a bmp image (about 1 mb) to a TextMate
> window: apparently the computer hang for about ten minutes, then in
> the window appeared about 4000 lines of text, then TM close. I
> repeat a second time with another image: now computer take always
> about ten minutes to give me the control, but this time TM doesn't
> crash.

Concerning responsiveness: It would greatly enhance the
responsiveness of this list if you would stop messing the threading
up. So please do _not_ use the reply button in your mail program, but
just write a new mail to textmate at lists.macromates.com if you want to
start a new thread. Otherwise the universe will collapse (as noted in
the footer) and we really don't want that.

I think the delay is caused by what Allan explained about 4 days ago:
TextMate doesn't handle long lines very good if you don't enable soft
wrap. And because there are rather few line breaks in BMPs, TextMate
sucks at editing 1 MB BMPs. But why would you want to do that anyway,
exept by mistake?

> Perhaps it should be better to handle these mistakes and tell, i.
> e., "you could not insert bmp image..." :-)

Maybe TextMate could recognize binary files in general (not just
BMPs, that would be rather silly) and kindly ask me about that,
Allan? Or could it auto-enable soft wrap for files where long lines
would cause problems? Although I'm not sure how to recognize these
files in advance.

Jonas