[TxMt] LaTeX diplaymath mode problems

Brad Miller bonelake at mac.com
Mon Nov 7 00:22:53 UTC 2005

On Nov 6, 2005, at 5:56 PM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Nov 6, 2005, at 5:23 PM, Brad Miller wrote:
>
>> or (the following does not seem to be well documented, but appears
>> to work)
>>   $$ dispalyed math equation $$
>>
> Hm, I have to admit I find this statement very surprising. It is
> extremely well documented in the TeXbook:
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/systems/knuth/tex/texbook.tex
> I guess this might be the difference: That this is the way to do it
> in TeX, but not in LaTeX. Anyway...
>> I don't think there is any difference between equation* and
>> displaymath but I could be wrong...
>>
> Well, I guess the question here would be, if you redefine one of
> the two, does that redefine the other as well? I dunno, I'm afraid
> I don't have a very deep knowledge of LaTeX either.
>
>> I think for purposes of scoping in TextMate we ought to treat them
>> all the same.
>>
> I agree.
>
> Upon further investigation of my file, the problem seems to be that
> all this falls also under the scope of meta.function.with-arg.tex,
> since it happens within the scope of a \comment{ command. If I
> close this command before the displaymath part, then it works fine.
> So this is not a problem simply to do with the math scopes

It Looks like our replies crossed paths on the network...

Next question:   \comment appears to be your own block comment
function.  So, Should any of the latex that follows be scoped as
anything other than a comment?  Since \comment is your own function
the answer is probably no, but how to know what should work and what
shouldn't

The problem for me is that it is not clear what LaTeX/TeX constructs
are legal to embed in what other constructs.  For a simple example,
replace \comment with \textbf  Strangely, all the text inside the
textbf does not bold the text that was previously commented.  Nor
does it produce an error.  Other times I have tried to put latex
environments inside TeX commands and they result in errors....

That said, I moved the displaymath declarations into the TeX syntax
file and all appears to be scoped correctly.  in your document.

I'm going to do a  bit more testing and then I'll commit the change.

Brad