[TxMt] Editing files via FTP

Carl Forde cforde at telus.net
Sat Nov 5 06:53:17 UTC 2005

Trevor Turk <trevorturk at yahoo.com> wrote:

 >>> I found that you can drag a folder onto TextMate to
 >>> open it in a single window. That's actually pretty
 >>> good for my purposes generally, but it looks like you
 >>> can't do that via Transmit.
 >
 >    What about Transmit->Preferences->General
 >        Double Click Action: Edit in External Editor
 >        External Editor: TextMate
 >    ?
 >
 >    No drag required, just Double-Click on file in Transmit
 >"their stuff" windows.

Here's a trick I use (btw, I use Cyberduck, but that shouldn't matter
for this) to edit related files via SFTP. I create a new project so I
have a project drawer, then I double click on a file I want to edit,
Cyberduck downloads it and TM presents it to me in a new window. Here's
the tricky part: I click on the file icon in the title bar and drag it
into the project drawer. (My aim isn't very good, I sometimes have to
try a couple of time to hit the magic spot that causes the icon to
drag.)  Then I close the edit window and double click on the file again
and it appears in the already open project window. So what I do is an
initial download of all the files I'm interested in, drag them into the
project drawer and close their independent edit windows and from that
point on, I have pseudo project based sftp support. :-)

--
Carl Forde

Start by doing what's necessary;
then do what's possible;
and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-- Saint Francis of Assisi